Skip to main content

West Bend Coverage for College Students

By September 25, 2012Uncategorized
A typical student can bring a variety of personal items to college including a TV, laptop, microwave, and refrigerator. According to the Insurance Information Institute (III), most families will be pleasantly surprised to know they already have some coverage for the property their students take with them to school.

Typically, the parents’ homeowners’ policy will cover property stolen away from home up to a limit of 10 percent of the contents coverage. For example, if the parents’ home is insured for $100,000, the contents coverage would be $50,000 so the coverage for a student away at college would be $5,000 minus the policy’s deductible.

The Home and Highway® policy, however, has no coverage restrictions in this situation as long as the student meets our definition of an “insured”, which includes:

b. A student enrolled in school full time, as defined by the school, who was a resident of your household before moving out to attend school, provided the student is under the age of:

(1) 29 and your relative; or

(2) 24 and in your care…

and is temporarily residing off premise. Then the full property or blanket amount is extended, subject only to the perils of the policy and the Section I deductible.

Many companies require a rider or special policy to cover computers on campus. This is not the case with West Bend. The Home and Highway® automatically covers this risk but an endorsement which broadens coverage for the computer is available if desired.

The III urges students to be extra cautious in locking rooms and hiding valuables. They also urge students to engrave numbers on expensive property since marked items are less likely to be stolen and markings can aid police in identification.

Last, but not least, liability coverage also automatically extends to the student who meets the “insured” definition.


If you’d like to learn more about a Home and Highway policy from West Bend Mutual, give us a call!